Sunday, January 19, 2014

Race Review Walt Disney World Marathon 2014

I'll start out by giving away the big spoiler...I had a great time at this race. So many things made it awesome. It was great to have my wife, Kara, there to support me and cheer for me. My Sister and brother-in-law also ran the race so it was so much fun preparing with them and then traveling to the start together. Also, my Dad lives in Clermont, FL so any excuse to get down to Florida to visit with him and my step-mom is always a great idea.
Now to the race. Disney puts on a crazy good race, and why shouldn't they? They're a well oiled logistical machine. Every single part of the race could't have ran smoother and every single worker and race volunteer was overly helpful and they all seemed incredibly excited. It was fun to see all the characters along the side of route. My favorite distraction was seeing the many high school marching bands that lined the course at certain spots, they were fun to see and were always very encouraging. 
There were not many bad points. It would have been nice to have more food along the course. There were several spots were cliff shots were offered and one stop were they gave out candy but other than that the only food offered was bananas which I'd personally rather have at the finish than during the race. Then of course the common complaint that so much of the course was spent in between parks or on back service roads. We ran past the water treatment plant at one point. I know that there isn't much that can be done about the route but it would have been nice to be in the parks more.
I finished the race in 4 hours and 9 minutes. It wasn't what I was going for and it was a less than stellar performance. I went out to fast and paid for it in the end. It was a marathon PR for me and Hopefully I'll get a chance to set another one before summer gets here.
Run Long,
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment